Kembo exam table
Better results in one go
Employees of the University Sports Centre Leiden were increasingly dropping out of work with back problems. No wonder when you have to set up some 1,200 examination tables 180 times a year and then take them away again immediately after an examination for a game of football. Moreover, students complained about the wobbly tables and splintering worktops. Couldn't we do this better and smarter?
Of course we could. We designed an exam table that is light, stable and that can be folded in one motion:
- Together with the ergonomics department of Leiden University, we looked for the least taxing way to fold up a table and put it down or store it.
- We translated the ergonomic principles into a clever folding mechanism that makes it possible to fold and unfold the table in one motion and without having to bend over.
- The folding mechanism is integrated in the aluminium side profiles. This way, the table is very flat when folded, taking up a minimal amount of space when stored.
- We also designed the matching transport trolley that can hold 28 tables.
Win-win-win: 70% less personnel costs, no drop-out due to physical complaints, happy employees and students and a sophisticated look. Placing and removing tables is now 3 to 4 times faster. And – in contrast to the old tables – very quiet.
- GIO, Goed Industrieel Ontwerp: Erkenning 2008